Guided by the National Social Action Agenda of Delta Sigma Theta, Knightdale – Wake Forest Alumnae is dedicated to taking the initiative in informing and educating our membership and communities on the issues of the day that have the potential to impact their lives. We promote community awareness and education on current social and political issues that support the sorority’s Five Point Programmatic Thrust.
The Social Action Committee advocates effective leadership and self-empowerment to social change and public policy. Through taking an active interest in the welfare of our country, we ensure that the rights and privileges of those in our communities are respected and upheld.
The goals of Social Action are:
- To develop an appreciation of the potential for influence in the community by African-Americans, especially women;
- To increase knowledge of current local and national issues, so that the community will be informed and effective citizens and advocates;
- To encourage political awareness and participation;
- To influence the enactment of legislation, national and locally, of particular interest to African Americans and women;
- To maintain vigilance over action or inaction by local judicial and administrative agencies and officials;
- To encourage the community to be active participants in the election process and to be informed consumers of political issues;To volunteer as leaders in civic and social action organizations;
- To encourage increased appointments of African American women in policy-making positions in government, nationally and locally; and
- To establish new partnerships with other non-profit organizations advocating for social change.
KWF’s Social Action Committee engages in the following activities:
- Delta Days in the Nation’s Capital – Partner with Political Awareness & Involvement
- Delta Day in the State Capital – Partner with Political Awareness & Involvement
- Domestic Violence Awareness – Participation in local Domestic Violence Candlelight Vigil
- Got Mine. Get Yours. Get Tested! – Partnership with HIV/AIDS Awareness Committee
- Keeping our Connection to Africa – Partnership with International Awareness and Involvement on the Fistula Foundation Initiative
- Membership Drive for NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) – Partnership with Political Awareness and Involvement
- Membership Drive for NCNW (National Council of Negro Women) – Partnership with Political Awareness and Involvement
- Strengthening the Black Family
- Voting Rights
- Felony Disenfranchisement
- Poll Watchers
- Awareness of growing Human Trafficking